Back pain is one of the worst and most debilitating types of pain many of us feel throughout our lives. It can stop us in our tracks and change our lives. Most of us will search out back pain relief options until we find some type of relief from the physical pain.
Did you know that back pain isn’t just about the physical pain? Did you know that back pain causes a lot of emotional turmoil and can lead to other problems? The infographic below on the emotional impact of back pain covers some of the ways that back pain affects your life beyond just the physical pain.
Back Pain: It’s not all physical!
Back Pain By The Numbers
- Number 1 cause of disability worldwide.
- 2nd most common reason people see doctors
- 80% of people will experience back pain
- 2nd most common reason people miss work
Common Causes Of Back Pain
- Degenerative Discs
- Herniated or Torn Discs
- Spinal Stenosis
- Osteoporosis/Vertebral Fractures
The Emotional Impact of Back Pain
- Back pain interferes with daily activities
- Limits work, social, and family activities
- Depression and anxiety may occur
- Avoidance of activities is common
Stress & Back Pain: A Vicious Cycle
- Stress and chronic pain are linked
- Pain causes stress and anxiety
- Sufferers worry about pain
- Stress exacerbates pain
- Increased pain increases stress
5 Ways To Lessen The Emotional Toll of Back Pain
- Get Medical Help: Diagnose and treat the cause of pain to find relief
- Journal Your Pain: Look for triggers or patterns
- Talk To Your Doctor About Depression: Discuss symptoms of depression/anxiety and possible solutions
- Develop Relaxation Techniques: Controlling stress through yoga or meditation helps control pain
- Ask About Exercise: Some exercises help relieve back pain and stress
Infographic provided by Carolina Back Institute.
Obviously back pain can wreak havoc on your life in a number of ways. If you are suffering from back pain we highly recommend going to see a doctor to figure out the cause of the pain. Once you know what is causing the pain you can then treat it properly with your doctor’s help.
If you are interested in some of the other back pain related posts we’ve shared, view them below:
- Ultimate Guide to Back Pain Relief & Prevention
- 12 Best Books For Back Pain Relief
- Best Yoga DVDs for Back Pain
- Yoga Poses For Back Pain Relief
- 3 Steps to Back Pain Relief
We hope you find the resources and relief you need!