Infographic by All About Vision
7 Things You’re Doing at Your Desk That Will Give You Eye Strain
- Don’t wear glasses with an old prescription. For maximum comfort, ask your eye doctor about custom computer eyeglasses.
- Eye strain can be caused by excessive lighting. Overhead lighting should be no brighter than your screen.
- Old monitors and low-resolution screens are hard on the eyes. Upgrade to a high-resolution flat panel display for less fatigue.
- Avoid “turtling” – sitting with your back rounded, chin jutting forward and head tilted back – to get closer to your screen. If you can’t see your screen clearly with good posture, visit an eye doctor.
- Sitting too close to the screen can cause eye fatigue and blurred vision.
- Having your mouse too far away will make you lean closer to your screen, increasing focusing strain.
- Are you sitting in a bad chair? Your back should be supported so you can sit upright and at a comfortable viewing distance from your screen.
Other quick tips:
- Get an eye exam: Your eye doctor can identify vision problems and prescribe special computer glasses for greater viewing comfort.
- Avoid “computer stare”: It’s easy to forget to blink when looking at a computer screen. Remember to blink often and fully to keep your eyes moist and comfortable.
- The “20×4” (20-20-20) rule: Keep your eyes at least 20 inches from your screen and take a 20-second break every 20 minutes to look at something at least 20 feet away.
Those are some great tips to help prevent eye strain which leads to eye pain and other problems. Remember to use proper ergonomics and these tips to keep your eyes strain free and healthy!
More ergonomics posts about eye strain:
- How to relieve eye strain with computer monitor ergonomics
- Tips for practical ergonomics at work
- Pain free correct posture
These posts will get you started in correct posture to be used at the office. Correct posture and computer ergonomics are very important in helping prevent eye strain since prolonged computer use can cause your eyes unnecessary strain.