As we all know by now, sitting too much can be dangerous for you. Sitting for hours upon hours every day can ruin all your other efforts to live a healthier life which is why many are turning to new solutions like standing desks.
Today’s infographic shows you how you can use your own sweat equity and inexpensive items from Ikea to build a useful and inexpensive standing desk.
Super cool, right? Here’s the infographic translated below including links to other relevant standing desk articles!
How to Build A Standing Desk For Under $22
If your work constraints you to a desk in front of a computer all day, don’t worry! You don’t have to spend $800 on an adjustable standing desk to save your health. You can have your own standing desk and anti-fatigue mat to keep you comfortable and pain-free at the office for much less than you think. But standing desks are expensive, but you can easily hack together your own!
Total cost: $21.98
All you need is a little ingenuity and a few items from IKEA.
- Lack side table: $7.99
- Viktor shelf: $5.99
- Ekby valter bracket (x2): $4.00
- Screws: Free from home
Important: Be sure to get an 11-inch shelf and 11-inch brackets so you don’t have to screw the shelf into the bracket (unless you want to).
The most cost effective comfort upgrade.
Add an anti-fatigue mat to reduce stress on the body and add comfort to your feet while you stand.
Black border hog heaven: $33.70
5 Easy Steps To Build A Standing Desk
- Assemble the side table according to IKEA instructions.
- Place the side table on top of your existing desk.
- Place your computer monitor or laptop on top of the side table. Adjust the screen height so your head is straight and your gaze falls naturally on the top third of the screen.
- Place the brackets onto the legs of the table to measure your proper height. Your forearms should be extended at 90 degrees so your fingertips rest comfortably over the keyboard without bending your wrists.
- Screw the brackets into the legs of the table and place the shelf on top.
What Every Standing Desk Design Should Include
You don’t need expensive materials to make the perfect ergonomic standing desk. You just need to make sure your standing desk has the following elements:
- 20 degree monitor tilt
- 20-28 inches to the screen
- Table height at or slightly below elbow height
How To Customize Your Standing Desk
Anti-Fatigue Floor Mat
Double Lack Side Table
You can add an extra table to increase the surface area for your monitor or height. That extra space can accommodate a laptop stand or additional work materials.
If you’re feeling especially “Pimp My Desk”, try adding some LEF lights below the table or shelf surfaces. You’ll be sure to look extra intense and focused for those late night work sessions.