If you suffer from carpal tunnel symptoms, you could probably use a wrist brace to help relieve the pain. Your health care provider might suggest a wrist brace for carpal tunnel to be worn during the day during repetitive tasks or at night while sleeping.
How To Wear A Carpal Tunnel Brace
Wearing a carpal tunnel brace is quite easy and can provide massive relief to many carpal tunnel sufferers.
The following image from ACE shows how to wear an ACE carpal tunnel brace:
Step 1: Open fasteners on the carpal tunnel wrist brace. Slide your hand into the brace with the metal splint positioned along the palm of the hand.
Step 2: Close center strap, then all straps until fit is firm yet comfortable.
Theses instructions are for ACE brand wrist braces but the same general instructions apply for most wrist braces you can buy over the counter from stores like CVS or websites like Amazon.
Why How You Wear A Wrist Brace Is Important
Wearing a wrist brace for carpal tunnel pain relief can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you wear it. They can give your tendons and nerves in your wrist support and relief so your body can heal or they can aggravate your condition and cause more pain. The problem for many people is that they wear write braces incorrectly or they wear them too tight and wear them for too long at one time.
Finding a high quality carpal tunnel wrist brace or splint that you wear properly is very important. To find the right wrist brace you much get the right size. Follow the guidelines on ordering the right size via your measurements. You might think that tighter means better but hit is not the case. Carpal tunnel pain is from the median nerve being squeezed or pinched which is why wrapping a wrist brace too tight makes no sense at all – it can make symptoms and pain worse!
A carpal tunnel wrist brace should be snug but not too tight. Your hand and fingers should not throb or swell because of your brace. You should be able to fit the tip of your little finger under the wrist brace easily but no more space than that. Wrist braces should provide you support but as it is not a cast you do not want to immobilize your wrist.
So how long should you wear your wrist brace once you find the right fit?
Many people think they should wear the brace more often than not and end up wearing it 24/7. However, this is not necessary! A wrist brace should be worn when you are doing repetitive tasks with your wrist like bending and twisting. If you are simply hanging out, watching TV, reading, or doing basic tasks that don’t involve your wrists then you can take off your brace and allow your wrists to breathe and relax.
Another good idea for wearing a wrist brace is finding a night specific brace or splint. These night braces are effective for wearing at night to help reduce or eliminate many of the night time carpal tunnel symptoms. Since many people often sleep in awkward positions that aggravate CTS, wearing a night splint can provide great relief and results.
Best Carpal Tunnel Braces
We know how uncomfortable carpal tunnel in your wrists can be, so today we wanted to share the best selling wrist braces and supports for carpal tunnel relief. These wrist braces are all highly rated and available for a reasonable price to help you relieve your pain from carpal tunnel.
Below are some of the best carpal tunnel braces available for sale for wearing during the day and at night. We’ve listed some of the best braces available through the trusted retailer Amazon.
- Helps relieve pain and swelling while maintaining full range of movement of thumb and fingers
- Adjustable straps for customer fit
- Fits even the most slender wrist and hands
- Provides the highest level of comfort with a high level of wrist support
- Designed for Carpal Tunnel Syndrom and support of weak or injured wrist
- Helps relieve pain and swelling while maintaining ful rane of movemet
- Latex free
- Mueller Fitted Wrist Brace on Amazon
- Helps relieve pain from Carpal Tunnel syndrome, strains and sprains
- Soothing memory foam and super-soft fabrics provide intensive comfort
- Designed to fit women – sleek, slimfit design fits under women’s clothing
- Ideal for use at the computer, while sleeping or for everyday use
- Lightweight, breathable materials
- Wellgate for Women PerfectFit Wrist Support on Amazon
- Breathable fabrics for extended wear
- Two stays provede maximum support
- Three adjustable straps for custom fit
- Helps support and limit the motion of the thumb metacarpophalangeal (or mcp joint)
- Allows for full finger movement
- Provides warmth to the thumb area and joint
- Mueller Sports Medicine Reversible Thumb Stabilizer on Amazon
- Moderate, stabilizing relief and protection
- Couples light compression with support from cushioning beads and removable palmar stabilizer
- Adjustable straps provide customized fit and support
- Helps relieve night time hand and wrist pain due to carpal tunnel syndrome
- Moisture-wicking, soft material keeps wrist comfortable overnight
- Cushioning beads support ideal neutral hand position during rest.
- Futuro Night Wrist Sleep Support on Amazon
- Maximizes circulation
- Super cushioned for comfort during sleep
- Unique 360 degree design provides rigid stability above and below the wrist
- Helps relieve pain, tingling and numbness associated with carpal tunnel syndrome
- Mueller Sports Medicine Night Support Wrist Brace on Amazon
- Cushioning beads support ideal neutral hand position during rest
- Adjustable palmar splint optimizes wrist support
- Easy sleeve slide-on design for effortless application
- Breathable, durable, soft and latex free materials
- One size adjustable
- ACE Night Wrist Sleep Support on Amazon
The braces listed above should give you a good start in finding the right option for you. Once you’ve purchase a wrist brace take some time to get the fit right and learn how to wear it. You’ll be amazed at how much relief you’ll find and how great it can make you feel!