When you’re in pain of any kind you want relief. You’ll try any number of pain relief products searching for the right one to ease your pain, especially when it’s all consuming back pain.
Most adults will suffer from some form of back pain during their life. In fact, 80 percent of the Americans will experience lower back pain.
Acupuncture mats are one treatment that is gaining a lot of news coverage and traction for back pain relief. But does it really work?
What are acupuncture and acupressure mats?
The modern acupressure mat that we use and recommend was invented in Sweden as a combination of the ‘bed of nails’ used in India and Chinese medicine acupuncture principles.
Acupuncture mats are a natural and inexpensive treatment method for back pain. These mats mimics that old school bed of nails concept to provide relaxation. The modern version of these mats use pointy plastic spikes instead of nails to achieve the same goal – relaxation and pain relief.
These acupressure nail mats contain thousands of plastic acupressure spike points that stimulate the nerve endings and acupressure points on the back. These pressure points are the same ones that would be processed during an acupuncture treatment but the mat does it without needles. These pressure points should release pain-relieving hormones that will help ease your back pain.
Using the acupuncture mats should help your body recover from pain in your back and muscles in just 20 minutes of use per day.
Studies have shown that using these nail mats for just 15 minutes a day for three weeks reduced patients’ peak pain levels. When you’re in pain, any relief is positive.
What are the benefits of acupressure mats?
While nothing is scientifically conclusive yet on these mats, they are regularly said to give users a host of health benefits including:
- Relief of back and neck pain
- Reduced muscle tension
- Improved sleep
- Reduces stress
- Increased relaxation
- Increased blood circulation
- Increase energy levels
- Reduced fatigue
- Increased metabolism and weight loss
- Improved digestion
Even if these mats only cause a few of these benefits then it would be worth the time invested in their use.
How do acupressure mats feel?
Laying on a bed of nails doesn’t sound appealing does it? Luckily, acupressure mats don’t hurt. While you might be imagining more pain instead of less, rest assured that tho there is a prickly feeling it isn’t nearly as bad as you imagine it will be. You can feel the spikes on the mat but they are bearable.
In time you learn to relax on the acupressure mat and lying down for 20 minutes a day relaxing becomes part of your routine.
After a few minutes on the mat you start to feel a warm rush that comes from the increase in blood flow. This helps you feel warm and relax more easily. After using the mat for a few days you start to look forward to this rush of warm feelings.
In our opinion, these mats do work. After testing one it left us feeling more relaxed and with less back tension than we had the week before. The greatest benefit was the increased relaxation which led to less tense muscles and better sleep. Call that a win!
What acupuncture mat should you buy?
There are several different options available for acupressure mats on the market today. Below we look at the top three and compare them.
- Average review: 4.5 out of 5 stars
- Price: $48 (click to check current price)
- Description: Immediate back pain relief. Acupressure Mat has 6,210 acupressure points for immediate back pain relief while the Neckupressure Pillow has 1,782 acupressure points for immediate neck pain relief.
- Average review: 4.4 out of 4 stars
- Price: $49.99 (click to check current price)
- Description: Spoonk Cotton COMBO Mat – 2 pc SET – Set has one large mat and one travel size mat. The travel size has 3 in 1 features. It can be rolled in the head rest or used open as large mat for back massage, has self carry belt and once folded the outer part is great to use as travel pillow -bolster in the car or plane. This Cotton line (we have also high end organic hemp line) is the Spoonk Mat for budget-conscious consumers. It is made with 100% high quality cotton. It’s filled with a plant-based Eco-Foam, features 6210 stimulation points and comes with a nylon-carrying bag.
- Average review: 4.3 out of 5 stars
- Price: $19.99 (click to check current price)
- Description: Use your ProSource Acupressure mat for 20 minutes a day to feel complete pain relief and relaxation. It can be used on any sturdy surface and is easily portable. Our mat will help increase your energy and feel more relaxed at the same time. As you get used to the sensation you can stand on your mat, lie on your stomach, or roll it up to use for your neck’s pressure points. You could choose to target specific problem areas of your body, or you could follow our suggested wellness routine, so that you could maximize the mat’s capabilities and promote total body relaxation and feel healthy all over.
As you can see, the top three best selling acupressure mats are very comparable in price and have gotten roughly the same amount of positive reviews.
In conclusion any one of these acupressure mats would be a great purchase if you are looking for one to buy. You can also browse other acupressure mats on Amazon.