No matter what kind of desk you use, whether it’s a standing desk, sitting only desk, or a height-adjustable desk, you need a keyboard tray to complete your ergonomic set up. Most people ignore the need for a keyboard tray or simply don’t know they need one, so today we are looking at keyboard trays and sharing all the information you need to know about them.
What is a keyboard tray?
A keyboard tray is a separate surface from your desk that sits in front of your desk to give you a place for your keyboard. It helps you control the position of your keyboard and mouse which gives you the control to properly position it for ergonomic benefits.
Why do you need a keyboard tray?
You need to use a keyboard tray so you can correctly position your keyboard tray and mouse. Your keyboard and mouse position will reduce strain on your shoulder and arms when you are typing and using your mouse. Having your keyboard on top of your desk often doesn’t correctly position the keyboard for these benefits which is why we suggest using a keyboard tray.
What are the best keyboard trays to buy?
You can buy the best keyboard trays online via Amazon and other independent retailers. There are a variety of keyboard trays out there and these are some of the best:
- Adjusts Effortlessly — A simple one-handed motion allows the keyboard to repositioned instantly, without the use of locks or levers.
- Encourages low-risk postures — Whereas older generation products focus solely on maximum adjustability, the 2G maximizes adjustability within a safe operating range.
- Non-intrusive — the 2G offers total knee clearance, so the only things below the keyboard are your knees. And its ease of adjustability means that it’s never in the way.
- Will last a lifetime — The 2G provides the industry’s most stable support for mousing and keyboarding. Made of powder-coated steel to exacting standards, it will provide years and years of healthy use.
- Converts a conventional desk to an ergonomic workstation!
- Height adjustable unit moves keyboard and mouse off the desktop to save workspace
- Keyboard tray features three height adjustments to suit preferred work position
- Easy to install and adjust for personal comfort
- Mouse tray mounts to right or left side of keyboard tray or stows underneath when not in use and keyboard stopper holds keyboard securely
- Mouse tray mounts to right or left side of keyboard tray or stows underneath when not in use and keyboard stopper holds keyboard
- Converts a desk to an ergonomic workstation!
- Easy adjust arm – just tilt platform, adjust and release to lock in place.
- Adjusts to 2″ above mounting surface and 5.5″ below mounting surface.
- Tilt is adjusted by dialing tilt knob to desired angle.
- Sturdy platform has proprietary lateral adjustments for getting the keyboard exactly where you want it.
- Articulating mousing platform adjusts in all directions, tilts forward and back, and can be mounted on the right or left side of the keyboard platform.
Attaches below worksurface and holds standard size keyboard.;3/4″ thick.
Global Product Type Keyboard Drawers/Platforms;Color
How do I set up my keyboard tray?
Keyboard trays require a bit more preparation and planning than other products. Make sure the keyboard tray you buy will fit under your desk and have the right amount of clearance. This is essential to get right in the buying process. Note – some keyboard trays can be installed with a shorter track so it is possible to get them on your desk even if you’ve made a miscalculation.
To install a keyboard tray you will need the product and some tools. Follow the specific instructions that came with your chosen keyboard tray to secure it to your desk in a stable manner. One you have it attached, make sure to test the setup and make sure it fits your body, desk and working style.
Sold on the idea that you need a keyboard tray? We thought you would be! Browse more of the best selling keyboard trays and enjoy your new keyboard tray and ergonomic desk setup!