Important information to note from this ergonomic infographic:
Ergonomics = Efficiency + Comfort = Increased Productivity
What is ergonomics?
Ergonomics is a means of providing an enabling environment that best facilitates employee’s performance and general productivity.
- An insurance company witnessed more than $620,000 in improved productivity with ergonomic furnishings investment of $500,000.
- Within 2 months of moving into a new building with an open office concept showed 60% employees believed that productivity had improved and 80% had a higher level of customer focus.
- 90% of the 200 decision-makers said better office design can improve productivity.
Common Ergonomic Issues Faced by Employees
- Wrong heights for table and chair
- Banging the knees of keyboard tray
- Cramped space
- No back support
- No elbow support
- Elbows on hard arm rests or desk surface
- Cradling the phone while using the computer
- Backrest tilts backward and forward
- Backrest tension control
- Lumbar support
- Adjustable armrests (heigh and lateral movement)
- Height adjustability of work surface
- Lies flat
- Low profile (30 mm)
- Keytop area of at least 0.5 square inches
- Key displacement between .05” and .25”
- Long cord for proper placement, or wireless
- Comfortable fit for hand
- Workable surface area
- Moves easily
- Adjustable brightness and contrast
- Adjustable tilt
- Anti-glare coating/filter
- Appropriate size for tasks performed
Real Case Studies:
- Applied Materials
- 400% increase in productivity, in terms of man hours.
- Properly designed and tested casters for manually moving 7,000 lb clean room manufacturing equipment.
- Applied Materials
- Researched and selected a better torque hand driver tool.
- 50% increase in product output.
- Fast Food Provider
- Redesign of workstation
- A 20% increase in productivity.
- Telecommunications Plant
- Ergonomic redesign of four workstations.
- Increased production, reduced data entry error rates and improved job satisfaction.
- Steel Company
- Ergonomic redesign of an observation pit.
- Saved over $150,000 in one year through reduced waste and higher productivity.
- Toy Manufacturing Plant
- Product Design Change.
- A savings of $0.11 per part.