Diabetes can be a life changing diagnosis for many people. When you finally receive your diagnosis you are given the chance to change your life for the better. Many people take this wakeup call and embark on a healthy lifestyle that improves the condition and their quality of life. When someone makes this type of life change it is important to help support them and equip them with the tools necessary to achieve change.
If you’re looking for a gift for someone with diabetes, this list will give you a good starting point. Remember that others than high carbohydrate foods you can buy a diabetic person almost anything you would buy a non-diabetic. However, it is nice to give a diabetic specific gift to show your support and encouragement in making lifestyle and diet changes to improve their condition.
Gift Ideas for People With Diabetes
These gifts for people with diabetes have been selected based on our research and gifts we’ve given friends who were diagnosed with diabetes. Since most people truly want good health for family and friends, these diabetic gift ideas are thoughtful gifts to show you care.
Food Gift Basket
Sure, people with diabetes have to watch their sugar and can’t eat certain things. But that doesn’t mean that they can’t enjoy food! Give the gift of a diabetic-friendly gift basket lets people realize they can still enjoy good food even while eating a diabetic diet. You can give something like a meet and cheese gift box that has a variety of meats and cheeses and contains no carbs!
- 6 Piece Sausages ‘n Cheese Bars from The Swiss Colony
- Hickory Farms 4-Piece Farmhouse Sampler Gift Pack
- Plenty 4 You Ultimate Sugar Free, Guilt Free, Movie Night Gift Bucket
Since a diabetes diagnosis can often focus around what you can’t eat, it’s a great idea to give someone a gift that helps them enjoy what they can eat. A spice set contains a lot of different spices that will help make food more exciting and enjoyable for someone with diabetes. You can combine a spice set with diabetic friendly recipes showing how to use the spices for a very fun and useful gift.
- Ultimate Organic Starter Spice Gift Set
- Set of 5 FreshJax Gourmet Handcrafted Spices (Grilling Spices)
- Casina Rossa Gourmet Sea Salt Gift Pack
A new cookbook is always a fun gift idea. A special diabetic cookbook showing people how to cook and eat for their condition can be a great gift idea for people with diabetes. Diabetic food doesn’t have to be bland or boring and these amazing cookbooks can help people learn how to prepare delicious, low carb meals that fit their meal plan requirements.
- The American Diabetes Association Diabetes Comfort Food Cookbook
- Diabetic Living Diabetes Meals by the Plate: 90 Low-Carb Meals
- Diabetic Cookbook for Two: 125 Heart-Healthy, Low-Carb Recipes
People with diabetes need to take good care of their feet since they can sometimes have less sensory awareness. Going barefoot is not a good idea in case feet get sore or infected as people with diabetes may not notice as quickly when they have a cut or sore on the feet. These slippers can also provide comfort and relief when feet swell. A high quality pair of slippers is a thoughtful and practical gift and it’s also something fun that most people enjoy receiving and using. Getting a nice pair of slippers that fit well is a gift that can last for years.
- Mens Extra Extra Wide Slippers – Swollen Feet – Diabetic
- Foamtreads Men’s Physician Slipper
- ACORN Women’s Spa Wrap Slipper
Similar to the slippers above that help diabetics take care of their feet, there are diabetic socks available. These diabetic socks are similar to regular socks but they are designed specifically to help people with circulatory problems, diabetes, edema, neuropathy, and other feet problems.
- White Diabetic Socks, Crew Style, MEN Size 10-13
- Dr. Scholl’s Men’s 2 Pack Non-Binding Diabetes Crew Socks
- Sierra Socks Health Diabetic Cotton Cushioned Sole Women’s
Herbal teas taste great have been used for centuries to control a variety of conditions. Tea can be a great gift for diabetic people. Depending on their personal taste and favorite tea flavors you can choose from one of hundreds of different tea types. Giving someone herbal teas can be a very thoughtful gift since tea can be used as part of a relaxation routine.
- Celestial Seasonings Herbal Tea Sample
- Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice Tea
- Health King Sugar Controller Herb Tea
Diabetes Travel Organizer
Diabetes organizers are wallet style bags that you can keep diabetic supplies in like insulin and freezer packs that can come in handy when needed. These organizers are a great gift for anyone diagnosed with diabetes that must take insulin while traveling.
- Medport Diabetes Travel Organizer
- Diabetic Organizer Cooler Bag-for Insulin, Testing Supplies
- Medport On the Go Diabetic Organizer
Fitbit or Pedometer
Exercise is essential for people with diabetes because it helps lower blood sugar. A great gift idea for encouraging exercise is a Fitbit or a Pedometer that helps keep track of how much you walk during the day. Giving the gift of exercise can be a thoughtful gift for some people. If you’re worried about how it will come across you can always get a matching Fitbit and use it for accountability.
- Fitbit Charge HR Wireless Activity Wristband
- Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity + Sleep Wristband
- Omron HJ-112 Digital Pocket Pedometer
Hopefully these gifts give you a starting point for finding the right gift for your loved one with diabetes!